If you’re someone who is seriously considering an investment in on-site storage, you probably have one crucial question – “How long do shipping containers last?”
Shipping containers will provide water-tight, reliable storage throughout their lifetime, and with a bit of luck, your containers might last as long as 30 years or more, so they are a fantastic investment as a storage container. The 30-year figure is a bit above average, but most containers can be relied upon for a long time, and the better they’re cared for, the longer they’ll last.
How you can prolong the life of storage containers
As with any significant investment, you’ll want to prolong the life of your shipping containers as much as possible. Fortunately, you can do things that will accomplish that readily, so your initial investment will give you an even greater return. Here’s how you can get the most out of your storage containers:
- Lubricate regularly – it’s a simple matter to lubricate all the locks, hinges, gaskets, and latches – in other words, all the moving parts. Doing so will ensure that your container is easily usable throughout its lifetime.
- Paint them – it’s a good idea to keep a coat of paint on your containers to discourage rust from forming. Rust is one of the main factors which can damage containers, so eliminating it is important.
- Establish good ventilation – if your containers aren’t ventilated, it’s possible that moisture can build up on the inside
- Keep debris off the roof – heavy debris can cause physical damage to the roof of your shipping containers, but even ordinary debris can be problematic. If allowed to accumulate, it can trap moisture on the roof, and cause it to begin rotting.
- Keep them elevated – while your containers are being used, have them mounted on blocks to keep them off the ground. If you let them sit on the ground, moisture may become trapped against the flooring, causing it to rot out over a period of time.
Shipping containers are big, steel contraptions that look like they’re invulnerable to everything. But even the most robust manufactured objects can be slowly damaged when exposed to the elements and ignored for long periods of time. A little bit of care and prevention will help to ensure that your containers last longer than the average time. So when someone asks you – “How long do shipping containers last?” – you’ll be able to respond – “Well, I don’t know about everyone else’s, but mine has already lasted 20 years.”
Storage containers for rent or purchase
For a long-term investment, you really couldn’t find a much better storage item to invest in than shipping containers, so purchasing them makes great sense. However, if you have a short-term need for containers, you can also rent them. At Jake Containers, we provide only high-quality shipping containers to our customers, and we’ll be glad to work with you whether you intend to rent, buy, or modify your containers. Contact us today with any questions you might have or arrange an on-site visit to our Ridgefield Park, NJ location.